Hey Pet Parents & Pet Lovers,
Working in a pet store means I get a lot of questions about whether or not cats are the right fit for a household. There are so many times I get told that a family is not interested in adopting a kitty because cats are “not as friendly” are “more independent” and “don’t respond to basic commands.” While it is true that it is much easier to train a dog than a cat, I’m here to say that Beau has been a well trained cat who absolutely loves affection.
The following is an older video of Beau (from earlier 2016) responding to his name to get his daily brushing done.
Beau, being the affectionate kitty that he is, has been trained to respond to a number of commands that we have taught him.
- To come into our bedroom whenever he hears the phrase: “Do you want a nappy nap?”
- To come get food whenever he hears an alarm that plays on my phone.
- To wait to have his harness put on before going outside to the grass. (He doesn’t leave the front door until it is on.)
- To wait to be given permission to go out onto the balcony. (This he doesn’t need his harness for.)
- To drop whatever he is holding if his name is said with a snap of our fingers. (This we are hoping to change as we don’t want him to relate his name to doing something naughty.)
- To come into whatever room he is called into. (Surprisingly, Beau is very good with this. While Walker verbally responds whenever you call his name, Beau will always come into a room when called.)